Within Samaria Gorge there are 4 churches with frescoes:
(5km after Xiloskalo)
A small rural sanctuary has been discovered in the same location recently.
Byzantine of St. Maria the Egyptian
(after Samaria village)
The 1740 templon depicts the Saint receiving Holy Communion from St. Zosimas.
Virgin Mary of Agia Roumeli
(in Agia Roumeli village)
The construction of the building took place during the Venetian rule and it was erected on the remnants of the ancient Temple of Apollo, who was the city's guardian. The builders utilized stones from the ancient temple that dated back to around 1500 BC.
Where a plate bearing the crown of Kallergis family is embedded within the wall.
(on the east of Agia Roumeli)
A Byzantine-style church situated on the beach near a freshwater spring was constructed by St. Kir Giannis the Hermit in honor of Apostle Pavlos. According to tradition, the Apostle baptized many pagans upon returning from the island of Gavdos and lived in Crete.
Mustafa Pasha completely destroyed it.
With wonderful frescoes.
Constructed with stones taken from the ancient ruins of the city, this small, old church of Byzantine architecture features an impressive high dome and valuable frescoes from the 14th and 15th centuries. The church was built on the site of a former three-aisle basilica church that dated back to the 5th and 6th centuries.
This Byzantine church, adorned with significant frescoes and an inscription from 1314, was constructed after the victory of the locals against the pirates. Its elaborate frescoes were created by loannis Pagomenos and there are numerous tombs surrounding it.
Virgin Mary the Thimiani
This church, which now serves as a graveyard, holds historical significance as it was once used as a meeting place for the autonomous people of Sfakia prior to 1821.
This is a very ancient site with a rich array of local traditions, including the legend of the well that contains "immortal" water.
Dating back to 1371 AC, this building is adorned with exceptional and unique frescoes.
The ruined structure is located near the fortress to the sea.